• Whether you are a VET or a beginner, this is the place to be. Click the REGISTER link below to proceed. Give us an intro after joining!

Difrences between Oil-Based Intramuscular (IM) and Subcutaneous (SubQ) Injections.

Musmadar

Reaction score
Injecting oil-based solutions either intramuscularly (IM) or subcutaneously (SubQ) is a practice that has gained attention in various fields, including bodybuilding and hormone therapy. Understanding the differences between these administration methods is essential for optimizing outcomes while minimizing potential risks.

Oil-based solutions typically contain lipophilic substances such as certain steroids or hormones. IM injections deliver these solutions directly into muscle tissue, ensuring a relatively rapid absorption due to the rich blood supply in muscles. On the other hand, SubQ injections place the solution just beneath the skin, allowing for a slower, sustained release into the bloodstream.

IM injections, owing to their placement in muscle tissue, facilitate a quicker absorption rate compared to SubQ injections. The muscle's vascularity accelerates the distribution of the oil-based solution, potentially leading to faster onset of effects. In contrast, SubQ injections result in a more gradual absorption, providing a sustained release over a more extended period.

IM injections often accommodate larger volumes of oil-based solutions compared to SubQ injections. The muscle's capacity to hold a larger quantity of fluid makes IM suitable for substances that require higher doses. SubQ injections, on the other hand, are typically limited to smaller volumes due to the restricted space beneath the skin.

IM injections are commonly administered into large muscle groups, such as the glutes or thighs, allowing for efficient absorption. SubQ injections, however, can be performed in areas with a thicker layer of subcutaneous fat, such as the abdomen, thighs, or upper arms.

IM injections may cause discomfort due to the larger needle size required for penetration into muscle tissue. SubQ injections often involve smaller needles, potentially minimizing pain and discomfort. Additionally, IM injections might carry a higher risk of accidentally hitting a blood vessel, leading to complications, whereas SubQ injections have a lower risk in this regard.

Never done SubQ injections with oil. What do you think the limit would be for volume? 0.5cc?
Also, reusing needles for GH SubQ needles isn`t so dangerous and can be done safely, is it the same for oils?

General opinion is that 0.5cc would be max for oils...some users with more body fat claims to be able to do more than that...others with less body fat, say they can't do even that amount.
In theory, growing bacteria in an oil base is challenging because many bacteria require water and nutrients for growth, which may not be readily available in an oil environment so, depending on the conditions you have for handling and storage between shots, you're good to go with reusing...theoretically.

Never done SubQ injections with oil. What do you think the limit would be for volume? 0.5cc?
Also, reusing needles for GH SubQ needles isn`t so dangerous and can be done safely, is it the same for oils?

Never done subQ for oil based compounds either.

I wouldn’t ever reuse slin pins for any peptide or compound…you’re just playing with your health. They are cheep enough to use a fresh pin as needed for your dose/frequency protocol.

I don't do it, but I don't see any problem with the current trend of everyday micro dosing with a slin pin. As far as SubQ vs IM with a slin pin and oils, I've heard guys report getting a pretty good lump under the skin doing subQ for oil injections. This is something I wouldn't be interested in, personally I would just keep with IM.

I wouldn’t ever reuse slin pins for any peptide or compound…you’re just playing with your health. They are cheep enough to use a fresh pin as needed for your dose/frequency protocol.
💯 agree, I never reuse any pin, not worth it like you mention, and yes, cheap enough to not have to reuse. Anytime I hear a story about someone reusing pins it's followed by that person talking about getting an infection. Gregg Valentino and Boston Loyd come to mind, hell, Boston was sponsored by a pin company and still reused them. Gregg openly admitted to not cleaning and sanitizing the needle before reusing it and ended up having to have surgery on his bicep due to an infected abscess. 😖

Last edited:
If your lean enough then pinning with 30g 1/2in syringes is the best option imo. I pin everything IM (except lantus) using these from amazon.

Back